Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
Bloomington High School
A high school has been in operation in Bloomington since 1863. In that year, classes were held in an old tannery building on South College Avenue. Later a new, two-story structure was built at 6th Street and Washington Street.
In 1914 a new high school building at the same location was dedicated with a 600-student capacity and a new gymnasium. It was a three-story brick building, designed by Mahurin & Mahurin. A photo of the old school be seen at the website of the Monroe County History Center.
In 1930 a contract for a new football field behind the building was given to local contractors Buskirk and Dodds.
In the 1970's, two county high schools outside the city were closed, and Bloomington High School South was created with the mascot, building, and colors of the old school. At the same time, Bloomington High School North was created.
- 1897 - The first football game is played.
- 1903 - A YMCA and YWCA are organized. They are later renamed to the Hi-Y Club and the Blue Triangle.
- 1904 - Track state championship.
- 1909 - First issue of the Gothic is published.
- 1919 - Basketball state championship.
- 1924 - Four troops of Girl Scouts are organized
- 1925 - Wrestling state championship