|Years:||1891 1892 1893 – 1894 – 1895 1896 1897|
Significant events from 1894.
- 2nd - The Briscoe v. Stone trial begins. Samuel Briscoe claimed that he was the illegitimate son of the late William Stone, owner of $15,000 worth of property in the county including the Stone Springs, and thus should receive all the property.
- 14th - The first meeting of the "Gold Cure" Club takes place. The Gold Cure was a cure for alcoholism that required the user to drink a tonic laced with gold.
Sanford F. Teter becomes a partner in the North End Furniture company, joining the Showers Brothers.
- William Bass files a lawsuit against Wells & Hall of the Acorn Restaurant alleging that they refused to serve him "because he is a colored man." It was the first attempt to enforce the civil rights laws in southern Indiana.
- J.T. Bundy opens a restaurant in the McGee Room on the south side of The Square. Also Frank Romizer opens a tailor shop in the room occupied by Scott Pauley and Samuel Bollenbacher.
- The Morning Daily Courier begins operations. It was edited by Henry Feltus.
- Henry Woolery of the First National Bank announces Prospect Hill lots for sale for as little as 40 cents a week.
- 7th - The Bruce & McGary store is burglarized when a thief throws a rock through the plate glass window. The Campbell & Davis hardware store is also robbed.
- 10th - The Followell Grocery Store on east 8th Street is burglarized.
- 24th - The Lindley Soda Fountain opens for business.
- Henry Gentry announces plans to remodel his building on the corner of 5th Street and the Avenue. At the time the building was occupied by the Bass and May Barber Shop, and the Order of Red Men.
- Drayman David Hughes purchases a half interest in the W. B. Hughes lumber yard, on south Morton Street.
- The Kerr Brothers, on the west side of The Square, sell their restaurant stock to Harry Swindler.
- The Star Dry Goods Store opens for business on the northwest corner of The Square (in the Fee corner). Also, plans are announced for a two-story building in the space on the south side of the square occupied by the Hughes Barber Shop and Mobley's Dry Goods store. The property is owned by Mrs. Buskirk.
Ground is broken on Kirkwood Hall.
- Bloomington National Guard units are put on alert to respond to striking coal miners in the southwestern part of the state.
Three grocery stores change hands: James B. Clark sells his grocery on the southeast corner of the square to H.W. Horn of Cloverdale. Joseph Urmey takes sole possession of the Carmichael & Urmey store on the northeast corner of the square, as William Carmichael sets up a shop nearby after buying the A.T. Massy & Co. store.