|Years:||1878 1879 1880 – 1881 – 1882 1883 1884|
The newspaper Bloomington Progress listed the businesses located in Bloomington in 1881 as the following
"What Was Around Town Back In The Year 1881
In 1881, Bloomington had 2,750 residents; three drug stores, two undertaking establishments, eight dry good stores, 8 grocery or provision stores, six liquor stores, two bakers and confectioners; three hardware and tin stores; four shoe stores, two clothing stores, three saddle shops, one tombstone shop, one book store, five butcher's shops, five shoemakers' shops, two livery stables, five watchrepairing shops, four barbers shops, six blacksmith shops, two flouring mills, three dentists, four millinery stores, four printing offices, one photograph gallery and one furniture store."
Significant events from 1881.
Persons unknown steal tools from the W.T. Harris hardware store, break into Reeves & Starks of Ellettsville, drill into the safe door and blow it open. They make off with almost $150 and a silver watch belonging to Mr. Starks.
Rumors of veins of gold near Harrodsburg make the rounds. A number of prospectors gather nearby. Some silver is found, but not enough for commercial viability.
The 175-acre Dillman Farm goes up for sale. It is described as "lying five miles south of Bloomington, Ind., on the Bedford road, 1 ½ miles from Clear Creek Switch and three miles from Smithville. The whole farm, except 16 acres, is in grass. There is a good orchard on the place, a handsome, two-story dwelling house and good barn and outbuildings." ( http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/inmonroe/2009-05/1241952830 )
Hardware vendors Stuart & McPheeters rent the Waldron storeroom for a term of five years.