Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.

J. L. Nichols, Architect

From Bloomingpedia
Myers Residence, from Souvenir of Bloomington, Indiana, published by the Commercial Club, 1912

J. L. Nichols, Architect was the business name that John Nichols used when not in partnership with others. He used this name from 1895 to 1905, from 1911 to 1912 and from 1916 until 1929. The following projects can be attributed to him:

  • Baker Residence, 803 N. College, 1897 (no longer standing)
  • Cassell Residence, 502 East Kirkwood Avenue, 1897 (no longer standing)
  • Fogg Residence, 304 S. Rogers St., 1897
  • Keller Residence, 324 S. Rogers Street, 1898
  • Wylie Hall (rebuild after a fire, with Louis H. Gibson), Indiana University Campus, 1900
  • Nichols House and Studio, 820½ N. College Avenue, 1900
  • Blackwood Residence, 440 E. Second Street, circa 1900
  • Smith Cottage, 802 E. Third St., circa 1900 (demolished)
  • Dr. Harris Residence and Office, 213 S. College, circa 1900 (no longer standing)
  • Corr Residence, 222 E. Kirkwood Avenue, circa 1900 (no longer standing)
  • Boisen Residence, 401 E. Second Street, 1901
  • Vos House, 114 S. Grant Street, 1903
  • Strain Residence, 527 N. Washington Street, 1903
  • Boisen Residence, 327 E. Second Street, 1904
  • Rogers Residence, 346 S. Rogers Street, 1904
  • Vermilya House, 317 N. Indiana, 1904
  • Cassell Residence, 111 S. Dunn St., 1904 (no longer standing)
  • Tourner Hotel, northeast corner of 4th Street and College Ave., 1904 (demolished)
  • Showers Duplex, 322-324 N. College Ave, 1905
  • Graham Residence, 308 E. Seventh Street, 1905
  • Sigma Chi fraternity, 601 E. Seventh Street, 1906 (greatly altered, multiple additions)
  • Sears Residence, 505 N. Walnut St., 1912
  • Strain Bungalow, 508 E. Eighth St., 1912
  • Von Behren Residence, 612 S. Fess Avenue, circa 1912
  • World-Courier Building, 113 W. Fourth St, 1912 (altered)
  • Hensley House, 339 S. Walnut, 1913 (no longer standing)
  • Leffler Bungalow, 611 E. Second St., 1915
  • Bowman Bungalow, 712 E. Eighth St., 1916
  • Showers Brothers administration building, 601 N. Morton Street, 1916
  • Bethel AME Church, 203 N. Rogers Street, 1922
  • Wingert Residence, 815 E. Eighth Street, 1923
  • Kadison building (new façade), 113 N. College Avenue, 1924 (altered)
  • Bowman Duplexes, 718-720 E. Eighth, 1924
  • William Murphy residence, 532 S. Ballentine Road, 1925
  • 517 N. Fess Street, circa 1925
  • Wier Marshall Residence, 314 N. Lincoln Street, 1927

The Batman House, 403 W. Fifth Street (1895) has also been attributed to J. L. Nichols, but there are no primary sources to support such an attribution, Nichols had not yet returned from his years in the western states when the house was designed and built, and the house bears no stylistic resemblance to anything he is known to have designed. The attribution is based on an assertion by an anonymous woman collected by a student in the IU folklore department.