Come hangout with other Bloomingpedia enthusiasts on Saturday October 16th, 2021 at 8pm Eastern. Register here.

Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.

University Courts

From Bloomingpedia

University Courts are the houses west of campus at Woodlawn Avenue, between 7th Street and 10th Street down to Indiana Avenue. The area is marked by brick streets, retaining walls, large houses, and sidewalks. The district is showing its age now, but its proximity to Indiana University still makes it very popular off-campus housing for students.

The neighborhood was originally part of a farm owned by Moses Fell Dunn and was developed as a planned community by the University Court Realty Company between 1911 and 1913. The range of eclectic architectural styles in the neighborhood include a Prairie style house at 825 E. Eighth Street, a Spanish Colonial bungalow at 703 E. 7th Street, and an English Tudor home at 513 N. Park Avenue.

In 2013 it was announced that several houses would be razed by the university in order to build a new fraternity house for the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. The houses were:

  • 410 N. Park Ave. (1920)
  • 402 N. Park Ave. (1917)
  • 803 E. Eighth St. (1916)
  • 809 E. Eighth St. (1920)
  • 815 E. Eighth St. (1920)
  • 825 E. Eighth St. (1921)

The university planned to move the fraternity to expand the Maurer School of Law. Members of the Historic Preservation Committee objected to the razing.

External links