Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
Bill Garrett Fieldhouse
The Bill Garrett Fieldhouse is an Indiana University recreational sports facility.
Built in 1928, it was originally known as the Fieldhouse and was the home court for the IU basketball team for over thirty years. It was designed by Robert Frost Daggett. Charles A. Pike was the general contractor.
For many years the facility was known as the Wildermuth Intramural Center in honor of former IU trustee Ora Wildermuth. In 2018 the IU Board of Trustees temporarily renamed it the Intramural Center due to community objections to Wildermuth's views on race. The Trustees' renaming decision cited "historical documents linking the building's namesake to harmful attitudes regarding African-Americans, extraordinarily strong opposition to racial integration and animosity toward other groups including Japanese-Americans." In June 2020, the building was renamed Bill Garrett Fieldhouse, after Bill Garrett, a basketball player from 1949 to 1951 who was the first African-American player to regularly play in the Big Ten.