Perry Township is one of the eleven townships of Monroe County. It was legitimately settled after other townships because land could not be sold as early as elsewhere: the state legislature designated it as a "college township", with plans to place a state university somewhere in the township and to sell the remnant lands to pay for the university's upkeep. In accord with this plan, the Indiana State Seminary was established in one of the township's northern sections in 1820, and land began to be sold for settlement.
Today, much of the township is occupied by the city of Bloomington. Three types of land use are dominant in different parts of the township:
- West and southwest: flat and agricultural
- East and southeast: hilly and wooded
- Center and north: urbanized