In 1856 the newspaper was re-established by new owner Howard Coe as a seven-column paper. However in 1858, it was sold to Clement Walker and W.S. Walker.
During the years of the Civil War, and just after that conflict, the paper had a very large, profitable circulation. While the Republican was in existence many attempts were made to found successful Democratic papers, but without avail, such attempts proving but loss and disappointment to their owners.
Bowen, B.F.. History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties, Indiana (Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen & Co., Inc., 1914) 300-304.